Detroit Line Territory
The Conrail Detroit Line mains are the parallel products of competing
railroads from Toledo to Detroit which were acquired by Cornelius Vanderbilt and absorbed into his New York Central System.
The southbound main track #1 is ex-Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Rwy. property while the
northbound main track #2 is ex-Michigan Central RR iron.
Between CP-MILL in Ecorse and FN Tower in Trenton, the Detroit Line is accompanied by
the GTW River Subdivision and the GTW Shore Line Subdivision, creating a wide right-of-way
shared by 4 mainline tracks and 3 subdivisions of 2 two railroads. Visually, it is very
impressive: four mainline tracks running straight and parallel, each seperated by earthen
right of way with cattails and grasses and wetlands instead of ballast. It is like this,
to varying degrees, all the way down to FN Tower in Trenton.
South of FN the Shore Line
Sub parallels Track #2 of the Detroit Line to a point just north of the Ohio state line, while the
River Sub heads west to Flat Rock MI. Meanwhile, Track #1 of the Detroit Line moves slightly to the west of Track #2, about 1/2 mile, leaving room for both Trenton Yard and Monroe Warner Yard. The two mains come back together at CP-LASALLE and run parallel south all the way to CP-289 on the NS Chicago Line in Toledo.
Locations of note North to South:
- milepost 2.9 CP-WEST DETROIT Junction with the Conrail North Yard Branch and Michigan Line, Begin Detroit Line
- 3.7 CP-WATERMAN Crossover
- 5.3 Delray CSXT Detroit Subdivision connection and crossing
- 6.1 Bridge River Rouge crossing
- 6.5 CP-YD Junction with Conrail Junction Yard Secondary, junction with Marsh Track,
junction with CNIC Shore Line Subdivision End Conrail Detroit Line Dispatcher, begin NS Dearborn Dispatcher
- 7.0 River Rouge Yard
- 7.8 Visger Road south end of Rouge Yard, a common place for outbound trains to be
- 9.3 CP-MILL Crossovers, connection with GTW River Spur
- 11.8 Wyandotte Defect Detector Still reads Conrail!
- 15.5 FN Crossing with CNIC Shore Line Sub and CNIC River Spur
- 15.8 Trenton Yard !!Closed!!
- 17.0 Trenton Detroit Edison Plant Lead
- 18.3 Gibraltar Road Northward Connection from CNIC Shore Line Subdivision to #2
- 20.0 Gibraltar End Conrail Shared Assets, begin Norfolk Southern
- 22.1 NS Defect Detector #1 Track southbound main
- 22.4 NS Defect Detector #2 Track northbound main
- 32.7 Sandy North siding switch, #2 Track southbound main only
- 34.0 Warner Yard Ford Lead, #2 Track southbound main only
- 35.9 Monroe Former LS&MS Adrian Branch connection
- 36.6 CP-DUNBAR #2 Track connection with CNIC Shoreline Subdivision at Plum Creek to the shared Primary Lead to the Detroit Edison Monroe Plant and Thompson
- 40.2 CP-LASALLE Crossovers
- 46.6 NS Defect Detector
- 49.3 Michigan-Ohio State Line
- 50.3 CP-ALEXIS Crossovers, Crossing with CSXT Toledo Terminal Sub, Ann Arbor RR, End Dearborn Dispatcher, begin Toledo Yard Dispatcher
- 51.4 CP-K Crossing with CSXT Toledo Terminal Sub
- 52.5 CP-52 North End Wagonworks Switch, #2 Track only
- 53+- Wagonworks "Where the coal trains hang"
- 54.7 CP-54 South End Wagonworks Switch, #2 Track only
- 55.9 CP-56 Crossover, junction with the Inbound Track to the Mega Yard and westward NS Chicago
- 56.9 Detroit Yard
- 57.7 CP-289 Eastward Junction with NS Chicago Line, END OF DETROIT LINE
Back to Detroit Line Page
Back to Conrail Detroit SAA Page
Drop me an email
This website and all contents herein Copyright 2002 by Jeff Knorek
except where noted.